29 June 2018

The Dream of Death's Court: Druid Bound

"Call your first witness, In-quis-i-tor." The Morrigan air quotes at me. I look over at a tall vulpine, young man lazily leaning against a spear that bleeds with the fire of the sun. Strapped on his back is an elven blade and across his sun-kissed skin dances a druid's tattoos as blue as the clearest skies. He winks my direction and laughs.

"Don't be glamoured by the Tuatha Dé Danann, son. These ones spend way too much time with the fairy folk so they think they have to put on a show and out-do one another." Tyr waves his hand as if he's grabbing after something unseen and pulls a horn of mead out of the air. " 'Cept I've never seen anyone out play The Morrigan. That one holds all the cards, she does."  He takes a drink. "Watch. It can't be done."

"Oh, you THINK, all-mighty judge, your honor, ma'am, that I chose the title off-hand? I'm not here to persecute, I'm here to help us all inquire as to why. Isn't this the same title and position that was used to find us all out and burn us at their pyres, to judge us against their god's decree? Didn't this man, "he points his spear at me and fire drips lazily from it's tip," once serve that same god, murdering just the same?" He slams the butt of the spear into the floor. "Changing one's spiritual practice does not absolve one of the responsibility of their actions." He slams the spear down again. "I Will NOT bring a tainted and diseased soul into our realms. He WILL pass through the fire, or Dissolution take him."He slams the spear point into the floor. "Let's get straight to the point and not play these games." In one motion he leaps, draws the sword from his back, bringing it straight for my neck in a perfectly executed swing.

"LUGH, STOP!" The Morrigan screams.

I close my eyes, and breathe a sigh of relief.

*CLANG*

One perfect tone rings in the air. I open my eyes to see Tyr having drawn his blade and with the flat of it stopped the killing blow of the Celtic god of the Storm's sword.

"Fragarach isn't going to win this contest for you, Clever One. I'm here to make sure that justice is served.  That means we play this out, and your Druid games come second." Tyr effortlessly pushes him aside then sheathes his blade. "

The Morrigan laughs wildly, "Oh, Clever Lugh, you can't deny me this prize! He may be a descendant of our people, but his ancestors turned away from our teachings. He must pay the price of that betrayal before he answers for any other. How else can he be judged by our standards?"

Lugh sighs. "I thought I could one up you." He puts the sword on his back then smiles. "I had you worried for a second."

The Morrigan crosses her arms and gives him petulant stare. "Only because this one deserves our attention." She looks directly at me, through me. I shiver. "I do not take self-murder lightly, however, I know despair."

"I don't dread my Fate, ma'am. I've read enough of the Lore of the soul to know the consequences of my actions. Even in life, those actions that were out of my control I still had a measure of responsibility.  I lost my faith. I gave in to the weight that crushed my will to live. I cannot feign ignorance, as my knowledge of what happens to those souls who bring no glory to god, they will not bring any to his foes. I will not blaspheme God nor my parents; the place, time, and seed that did engender me and give me birth. No penance could I serve and no boon would I ever ask to take this from me. Before this goes any further, I accept whatever judgement that you pass. I prayed for oblivion."

"Oh child, you have learned many painful lessons in this life, but the most painful one that you should acknowledge is that you can't escape through MY Door."  The light dims. "You are my food, I will last until this universe dissolves it's final atom, ad infinitum.  Brahman, the Ultimate Reality, even Him I will consume."  She points a finger at Lugh without looking in his direction. "Inquisitor, begin."

Lugh sighs. "Play the life-sequence, Ganesha." He taps his spear on the ground. "You'll be witnessing and reliving your life. Each moment will be known before you get to it, and you will feel every emotion fresh, every thought as if new. You will not be able to change or affect anything. Observe, see who you really are, and stand ready for judgement before all of Creation."

Ganesha materializes in front of me. "Don't worry, brother," he whispers, "I'm with you until the end." He smiles then places the tip of his broken tusk on my third eye, wrapped in his trunk. I'm pulled away to another place. When I come to, I'm back in SERE Training. When reality hits me, it is like I'm chained inside my head.

I scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment